Due to Photobucket's brilliant recent change in policy for hosting pictures, here is a link to the pics:
While I had my 2004 Mazda 6 apart, I wanted to added another 12v source so that a passenger could easily charge their phone or tablet as well as keep my console clean of wires and also charge my phone while in it's ProClip holder.
1) 12v Socket Kit ($8-eBay)
1) 1" Drill bit (Spade or Hole saw type)
2) Wire Taps
3) Wire cutters
4) Zip Ties
1) Remove the cupholders, shift plate and unplug factory 12v socket. There are various guides on how to do this already, so I won't go into it here.
2) Mark where you want to place your new 12v socket and drill a 1" hole. Keep in mind to choose a location that will miss the shifter. Now insert new 12v socket into hole.
3) Using the provided wire taps to connect the Red wire of the new 12v socket to the Blue wire of the factory 12v socket connector.
And tap the Black wire of the new 12v socket to the Black w/ Orange Stripe wire of the factory 12v socket connector.
4) Test the socket to make sure everything is working. Remember that this socket will only work when the key is in the "ON" position just like the factory 12v socket.
5) Zip tie the wires out of the way of the shifter linkages and re-install the shift plate and cupholders.
Have a problem, question or comment ? Let me know below.